Support this site, visit My
Immortalized by the famus "Chicken House," La Grange was established
in 1837. Though La Grange was untouched by fighting during the Civil War,
during Reconstruction the town was torn by conflict and disorder. Local
peace was disrupted in May 1865 as returning Confederate veterans robbed
local German businesses and, on one occasion, threatened to burn down
the town. La Grange began to grow as a trade center after the Galveston,
Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway began service there in 1880, which
helped put the local brewery out of business. In 1990 the United States
census counted 3,951 people living in La Grange.
H. L. Kreisch (Kreische) 1872-1882
Mrs. Josephina Kreisch 1882-1884
Heinrich Kreische, date unknown.
Photo scanned from The Story of the Kreische Family; 1849-1952 by
In 1846 Heinrich L. Kreische emigrated to Texas from Saxony. He settled
in La Grange and worked as a stonemason, building the county jail in 1853
and the third county courthouse in 1855. He lived on the bluff overlooking
the Colorado River with his wife Josephina and six children. Bewteeen
1860 and 1870 Kreische changed his major occupation to that of brewing.
He built a large brewery just down the hill from his home between 1870
and 1880, and by the late 1870s his had become the third-largest brewery
and the state. The slogan for the Brewery has traditionally been "Frisch
Auf!" (Refresh! Look Alive!). The only documentation for this, aside
from the traditional accounts, is a large banner with the words "Frisch
Auf" now in the possession of the Parks and Wildlife Department. The banner
is photographed with an undated, but probably brewery vintage gathering
of people on Monument Hill. His ads also said "Bluff beer is
good." Like many other 19th-century Texas manufacturers, Kreische
began his business on a small-scale and served a local market. He also
retailed his product had a beer garden on the bluff and a beer hall in
La Grange. At the time of his death, the brewery was a prosperous enterprise
with good prospects; it, however, soon went out of business without Kreische's
leadership. The Kreische brewery is now a ruin consisting, for the most
part, of partial walls and piles of stone rubble. A large underground
vaulted room is the only room intact. The state of Texas purchased 36
acres next to the Monument Hill state historic site in 1977. These acres
include the ruins of the Heinrich L. Kreische family home and brewery.
For information and a tour schedule, call park officials at (409) 968-5658.
For state park reservations, call (512) 389-8900.
An aerial view of the Kreische Brewery. Click to make it larger.
Wilhelm Rack 1874-1875
G. Zuhlecke 1874-1875